Thursday, August 18, 2011

A photo from '95 on the way to Whitney


This is the last time I was above 12,000 feet after a huge winter, like the one we just had.

It was 1995. This snow field was above Trail Camp. It was the beginning of the last leg to the top of Mount Whitney, which is about 14,500 feet.

I don't recall who is in the photo. Jim Wasserman, former Fresno Bee columnist, former Associated Press writer and former Sacramento Bee business writer, was along for the trip. My guess is that I snapped a quick shot of Jim as we worked through the snow and ice.

I'm not expecting to see snow this deep. But you never know. I'm leaving the crampons home. Can't stand the extra weight any more. But the glacier I want to see is probably close to 14,000 feet. We'll see if I regret my crampon decision.

No comments :

Follow @markgrossi