Thursday, September 1, 2011

Sierra trek: reaction to reactions


Just a note after having a few conversations about the post on the high Sierra trek.

* For the folks who dearly love extreme sports in the Sierra, more power to you. I mean no offense by pointing out that many people would consider your passions to be slightly crazy. Your passions indeed are slightly crazy.

* For naturalists who appreciate all facets of the Sierra, including swarms of blood-thirsty mosquitoes, I see where you're coming from. I just don't want to be sitting anywhere near you when you're appreciating those maddening bugs.

* For the people who don't see why I fuss so much about the Sierra and its importance to California, I get it. And it's fine by me. But you breathe air. You turn on the tap, and the water comes out. Do we need the Sierra for those basic things? Yeah. If you live in California, you pretty much need that hulking mountain range.

* For you government wonks in various agencies dealing with the Sierra, thanks for your views on technical details. In your travels and work in the Sierra, I urge you to be as passionate as any one of the people I mentioned above.













No comments :

Follow @markgrossi