Saturday, September 13, 2008

Back from Mendel


Seattle author Peter Stekel found part of a wing to the AT-7 aircraft that crashed on Mount Mendel in 1942. That was quite a highlight of our trip to Mendel Glacier.

Great trip. Learned a lot from Stekel and his hiking partner, Michele Hinatsu, who is just a marvelous off-trail navigator and hiker. Both of them were so impressive.

Photographer Mark Crosse and I have been back for a couple of days now. The knee swelling is slowly going away. We did a descent of about 3,600 feet on the last day from Lamarck Col to North Lake.

I wish I hadn't been so cold all the time. The wind was incessant. On the hike out, we had to climb 1,400 feet to the Col. No trail. Lots of boulders. Near the top, it began hailing.

Worried about exposure to lightning, we blasted over the Col. Didn't even stop at the top. Then we boulder scrambled around the ice field at the Col. Actually, it was far less difficult than it had been two days earlier because I was learning more and more about boulder scrambling.

I will write more about the desolation and beauty of the Mendel Glacier. It was like being on the Klingon home world, if you ever watch Star Trek. Just another world. Nothing growing. Lots of ice and rock and scary looking combinations of both.

I'll write a little more about this in the next week before I give up. I loved doing this adventure.

No comments :

Follow @markgrossi