Monday, September 1, 2008

The flurry is hitting now


It's crunch time in our reporting at The Fresno Bee. On Sunday, Aug. 31, we started the first of 18 days of stories, graphics and photographs on aviation and the Sierra Nevada.

We've been working on it for a solid two months.

Now, the marathon becomes a fast-paced finish. Graphics, editing, photographs, online audio, map data. Fellow writer Cyndee Fontana and I are trying to make sure we see as much as possible to help troubleshoot and find mistakes. At the same time, we're still writing and reporting.

It's tough. It means looking at stories that you've read dozens of times, trolling for that one preposition that you left out. Poring over that same map and trying not to miss something really obvious.

It is very humbling. I've worked with Cyndee for about 20 years, but I had no idea how talented she was in organizing stories, turning a phrase and hashing out details. She's really good.

I need to think about buying food, checking my tent for leaks, calling the forest service to hold my wilderness pass in Bishop. That sort of last-minute stuff needs to be watched carefully. I've messed it up too many times.

On Thursday, the satellite phones will arrive, unless the federal government has taken them for use in emergency operations in New Orleans for hurricane Gustav. Still have to figure out how to use them. We're leaving Saturday.

Lots to think about. I've almost forgotten about that glacier. Almost.

No comments :

Follow @markgrossi