Tuesday, December 16, 2008

At last, snow


I finally have a huge dump of snow in the Sierra, several feet of it above the 10,000-foot elevation.

Before I go snowshoeing, I have to change out the baskets on my trekking poles. A few years ago, I figured out that I needed the wider snow baskets to keep from making a post hole every time I dug the pole into the snow for balance.

I also have to find my snow boots in the garage. I usually have to clean out a few spiders.

Which reminds me, I carried a daddy long-legs spider all the way to Darwin Canyon in September. He was living in my rolled-up tent. I left him near a boulder above Lake No. 5 at 11,500 feet. He's probably pretty cold about now.

The photo above is Yosemite Valley in the snow. It wasn't taken during the current snowstorm, but I like the photo. It was taken by Kenny Karst, the PR manager of the concessionaire in Yosemite National Park.

Kenny, as you can see, knows how to take a photo.

No comments :

Follow @markgrossi