Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Watching the Sierra


I'm sitting here wondering what it looks like at 10,000 feet. I know what Fresno looks like right now: It's hazy, dark, wet, cold, unhealthy. Other than that, it's a real garden day out there.

But at 10,000 feet, the sun is shining. So I went online and found the photo above from a Webcam. It's at Tioga Pass in Yosemite National Park. I've been through there many times, but it has been a while since I've been there in winter.

That's because you can't drive the Tioga Road in winter. They don't plow it. I don't blame them. It runs about 45 miles on glacial rubble at 8,000 to 10,000 feet. By far, it's the longest trans-Sierra route in California. It is fabulous and virtually isolated in late December.

So Happy New Year in the high Sierra. We're watching those Web cams.

No comments :

Follow @markgrossi