Thursday, August 7, 2008

Crampons or no?


Should you use crampons this late in the season on California's wimpy, little glaciers? Naw. No way.

That's what everyone has been telling me. Just take your trekking poles and you'll be fine.

I will. But I don't want to find myself bumping down a slope filled with sun cups and ice next month, wondering if I should have used the crampons to keep myself from slipping.

My backpacking pal, Mark Crosse, said he's not concerned. He's thinking about how cold it will get above 11,000 feet at night in September. Good point. But I'm always a cautious soul with cold -- down jacket, 20-degree sleeping bag, good gloves, good knit cap, et cetera, et cetera.

So I'm not worrying about cold, and I'm working on my quads with isometrics. I've been conditioning for the last six months. I think I'm just going to coast this month to stay fresh for this thing.

Anybody with suggestions is welcome to voice them here. If you missed what I'm doing, just read the next item. And I'll wait to hear from you.

No comments :

Follow @markgrossi