Friday, August 1, 2008

Cool, dangerous and fast?


The guy had the cell phone thing stuck in his ear. He drove madly past me, jawing away with his arm draped over the steering wheel in a kind of driver chic that oozes, "I'm cool, I'm dangerous, I'm fast."

Being at the opposite end of cool, dangerous and fast, I wondered if there was any way to capture that feeling. I could have bought a phone thing to stick in my ear. But I have chronic ear wax buildup. Sign of middle age, you know.

I thought a little longer. Oh yeah, I know. I'll climb a glacier and look for the frozen, preserved bodies of military airmen who had crashed there in 1942.

Yeah, it's like that.

It's mystery. It's a glacier. It's mid-life. It's equal parts crazy and creepy. I'm in.

A photographer named Mark Crosse and I are walking up to Mount Mendel where this horrific crash took place Nov. 18, 1942. I've backpacked, hiked, snowshoed and otherwise hung out in the outdoors before. I've walked on a lot of ice and snow, but never a glacier.

There's more to tell, but I'm entering the freeway in my vehicle right now. Another sip of my French roast, and I'll blow the doors off this car driven by the guy with the cell phone thing stuck in his ear. I'll be back to this space later.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

How cool is that?! So what to glaciers look like in the summertime?

Mark Grossi said...

Oh my gosh. A comment. A question, even.

OK, I'll admit I coerced Bethany into reading this.

What do glacier's look like in summer? This one is kinda wimpy and dirty, actually. But it has all the classic stuff of a glacier. I'll put a photograph on the blog next time.

Follow @markgrossi