Thursday, August 21, 2008

Hope there's no smoke


There are some things you can count on in California.

In the winter, it rains in LA and house slide down muddy hillsides where people probably shouldn't have built their homes anyway.

In spring, people are on pins and needles about either a drought or a big snowmelt that will flood everyone downstream in May and June.

In summer, fire rages through overgrown forests, which are the continuing target of environmental lawsuit and gridlock over proper management.

Ah, but when fall nips the air. Sometimes you get blizzards, sometimes you get Indian summer.

I'm saying all this because September is right on the cusp between fires and blizzards or Indian summer.

I'm kinda pulling for Indian summer in September, but I know we're still in fire season. I just don't feel like breathing smoke while I'm hiking the eastern Sierra next month.

No comments :

Follow @markgrossi