Sunday, August 10, 2008

A few key words ... it's worth reading this


Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. Inyo National Forest, Sierra National Forest and Giant Sequoia National Monument. Recognize any of those names?

OK, you recognize the marmot in the picture above, right? He's at Half Dome in Yosemite National Park. He's the one who meets everyone, begging for food.

Have I manipulated enough to get your attention? Yes?

OK, first my apologies. I'm just trying to trip a few key words out there on the Net to get you here. I did this a couple of months ago and a few people bit. It was worth a try again.

Here's what I'm trying to say: Next month, a photographer and I are walking up to Mendel Glacier where there may be the frozen bodies of two World War II airmen still in the ice. Two mummified bodies already have emerged.

Global warming and two years of drought in California make us think there's a decent possibility that we will find important parts of the plane, such as the instrument panel, which might tell us speed, altitude and bearing of the flight in 1942. Bodies would be a grisly but amazing addition.

I've spoken with relatives of those two airmen who are still missing. Believe me, folks, they want their loved ones returned for burial in their hometowns.

No comments :

Follow @markgrossi